Saturday, October 3, 2009

Arrival (and the next 2 days)

So after arriving in Ghana on the 1st of October I must say it is really different from the U.S., of course I got stopped going through customs (they wanted to know what shaving cream was and what I do with it, they laughed when I told them it is used to shave your legs). Once at my new home I met Dorine (mother) who is so cute but speaks about no English (trying to explain being a lactard was rather difficult). I didn't meet other family members really except her grandson who is afraid of white girls and her son David who was wasted drunk at the time. All good though, nice people for sure.

It wasn't too hard of a time change adjustment; it is more of an adjustment to not having running water, random blackouts (today we had one for about 5 hours - not fun in a house without a fan in 95 degree weather), and the constant marriage proposals. But after showering with a bucket (using water that had been collected during the rainy season or "tanks" aka barrells) I went to the beach for orientation (SO CLOSE TO THE ATLANTIC IT IS INSANE!) and then I was off to Accra with my program coordinator Evans.

I saw Black Star Square, which is the memorial to the first President of Ghana (Nkrumah) who is also the man who helped the country gain its independance on March 6, 1957. (I cannot upload pictures now but will do so as soon as I can). We also drove past where the Black Stars play football, and I cannot wait to go to a game! My day ended with the coolest thing, meeting the Rastafarians and them teaching me drums! MAD COOL! And to make drum lessons ever cooler one of the dudes was wearing a Yankee hat, and the other had insane dreads and offered to give me some (no worries mom I said I was good for now, but thanks). Seriously thinking of going back and taking more lessons (as you will be able to see from the video I most def need more lessons!) and you can see video below (hopefully and NOT hopefully)

In the early evening I went with my roommate, Emma, from Australia, to the Accra Mall to get Soy Milk :). It was rather western type of mall but unless I need more soy milk I don't think I will be going again (too expensive). Everyone tends to go to sleep early so that was the end of the day basically, after having Banku for dinner (mashed rice ball with stew that has fish, chicken and beef - beef here is the skin of the cow not what we call beef and it is GROSS)


Today I finally got to unpack and settle in, came to Osu to use the internet and try to have contact with people. I took the tro-tros which are like the Ghanian version of buses but they are minivans and guys scream out where the final destination is and you have to know where you are going, for an easily confused girl it was a very funny scene; let's hope I find my way back home!

My minutes at the internet are almost up so till the next trip to Osu this is all for now!


  1. WOW! Sounds like you are having all sorts of experiences. Excellent. Enjoy them all. Looking forward to the pictures. And,thank you for not dreadlocking your hair (ok so now everyone knows this posting is from mom!)

  2. Rasties in Ghana? What's up with that? Oh well, don't worry. Be happy. Black outs, rain water showering and unreliable wireless communications are all learning experiences. U kin doo eet!